Saturday, May 28, 2011

I let it take my breath away


Yesterday my art history class had a mandatory excursion to Hadrian’s villa in Tivoli. Hadrian’s villa can only be described as romantic. In the 2nd century AD, a time of peace in Rome, the emperor Hadrian built a 250 acre villa and moved his court to Tivoli. The villa was mostly decomposed however a few pools still remain.  It was a bit hard to picture the vastness of this place in the time in which it was built. We then proceeded to the actual town if Tivoli where I saw the most beautiful garden.

The Este family, one of the richest Italian families in all of history, owned a villa compiled of thousands upon thousands of fountains. It was absolutely gorgeous and I let it take my breath away. You look down and four levels with more and more fountains. Inside the villa were beautiful and renowned works of art.  It was an amazing day I am so lucky I took the class and get to see all of these places.

Today about 20 of us went to the beach. It was a little pricey to get in, 10 Euro, but it included showers, chair, pool, and volleyball. The sand was black?!? No idea but it was a nice day trip spent with some really great people and it only cost 2 Euro to get there! Score!

(pics are up on my Facebook of both Hadrian’s villa and the garden)

No comments:

Post a Comment